Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I QUIT!

I remember reading something somewhere about the costs of being healthy and how in many instances it is actually cheaper to make not so healthy choices. Fast food restaurants offer screaming deals and we all want the larger 'money saving' packages when we shop. We are used to "super sizing" and "economizing" and in the Christian Community we all are taught to be good stewards of our money. How many of us were cautioned to eat all our food because the children in China are starving? Are you a member of the 'clean plate club'? I am. Tonight, however, I quit!

A few weeks ago I made my way to a favorite steak restaurant, eager to feed my base need for meat. I ordered the usual 16oz piece of medium cooked ribeye complete with veggies, loaded baked potato and salad with bread. I happily ate the whole thing and then proceeded to impulsively indulge in the chocolate chip cookie dessert with vanilla ice cream. Yep, it was amazingly delicious and my book and I had an intimately lovely meal. I felt overly full but since it was a familiar feeling, I was happy. Tonight, the story presents a different scenario. Firstly, I have been 'working' the OA program a bit. I am trying to surrender to God my food issues. I have been looking at food differently and even altering what I put in my mouth a bit. I have not totally sacrificed my joy in food for this project but I do not handle food the same way.

Sizzler restaurants are hard to find but bring back good memories of tasty Malibu Chicken. I used to love their rice pilaf as well, but I digress. Tonight I took my current book companion and ordered the steak and chicken combo. I upgraded to the 8oz steak with Malibu chicken and a loaded baked potato. I also had mushrooms for my steak. I got the diet soda and complimentary salad and sat down to enjoy. I surprised myself by not piling my salad super high but only choosing a few extra items for my lettuce. When my main dish came I was excited to see the old cheese toast favorite from my past. Here is the good part of my story--I ate the salad, drank the soda, ate the toast and chicken. When it came time to eat the precious, slightly bloody and savory steak, I found myself to be FULL. Yep, I warred with the dilemma of getting my 'money's worth' or walking away. I walked away. This was my official resignation in the clean plate club.

And, guess what? I am still alive and well to tell the story!

1 comment: